Leaders Workshop

Soft Skills Development & Training

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Re: [TSP_Strategy] Nearing Retirement- want to reduce risk

 

I guess it all depends on how you view risk.  I have been retired for 12 years.  While my TSP was modest compared to some of those I read about today, I continue to manage it the same way I did when I was working.  My TSP value has way more than doubled since I retired.  About a month ago I started a monthly withdrawal.  

I set up my withdrawal rate based on the idea that I could average a 6% annual gain.  There should be some money left after I've left.  

I just don't foresee and in 60 investing years never experienced the nightmare scenario that seems to keep people awake at night.  I admit it's been close on occasion (2008) and there have been some years where it seemed like nothing moved, but today's broadly diversified or broad index funds just don't scare me that much.  

I keep a little bit in 2050 half of the rest in my choice and the rest follows this group.  (which has been great by the way).  Very easy.  I see no reason to change what I am doing.  

The group is fun when I read about how people want more choice to move funds.  I don't think that in the long run that is much of an advantage.  It could make you crazy, this is about as easy as investing can be.  When you start withdrawing you will discover that it is even more restrictive.  That's the stuff I hope to see change.  Why does my withdrawal have to be the same each month?  Maybe I don't want a withdrawal in July, but plan a trip in December and need funds for that?  Maybe I only want to use my TSP for utility and real estate tax bills (a killer), couldn't TSP partner with a bill paying service (like Paytrust.com) and allow you to use your TSP for bills?  Keeping up with bills and mail is the hardest part of retirement for me.  Let's not talk about medical confusion.  I always thought I understood Medicare and the FEHB relationship.  Love reading Tammy's advice.


__._,_.___

Posted by: meares@mosquitonet.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (18)
Neither the TSP Strategy group, nor individual members, are licensed or authorized to provide investment advice. Any statements made herein merely reflect the personal opinions of the individual group member. Please make your own investment decisions based upon your personal circumstances.

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___
Anda baru saja membaca artikel yang berkategori dengan judul Re: [TSP_Strategy] Nearing Retirement- want to reduce risk. Anda bisa bookmark halaman ini dengan URL https://1stleadershipworkshop.blogspot.com/2019/06/re-tspstrategy-nearing-retirement-want_10.html. Terima kasih!
Ditulis oleh: Andriansyah -

Belum ada komentar untuk "Re: [TSP_Strategy] Nearing Retirement- want to reduce risk"

Post a Comment