Leaders Workshop

Soft Skills Development & Training

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

Mike - I appreciate the simple explanation... thanks😊

Sent from my iPhone

On Mar 11, 2018, at 3:05 PM, Mike VanAmburgh mjv325@gmail.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

The buy high and sell low mostly comes from those who panic during a downturn and go 100% back to G, which is what you would be doing if you go back to G at this point (assuming you've been in equities since at least Jan 26). The market is still down a bit from the volatility we've been going through since Jan 29. If you go to G now, you'll lock in your losses. I don't know what funds you're in but the C is still down 2.7%, S is down 1% and the I Fund is down 5.7% from the Jan 26 closing prices.. 

It doesn't sound like a lot but for one who is 100% in C Fund with a $300k account balance (for example), going to G would be like throwing $8,000 in a fire. 

Mike


On Sun, Mar 11, 2018 at 10:11 AM, 'steve_thompson777' steve_thompson777@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Significant analysis was done after the 2009 meltdown.  It found that those with self directed TSP accounts did exactly the wrong thing at exactly the wrong time.  They bought high and sold low.  A lot of people made a ton of money on financially unsophisticated TSP account holders.

 

I am simply saying that for this one, one would be wise to get in front of it.  Sell while the market is at historic highs.  The buy after it has fallen down to historic lows (and I mean 1929 style historic lows).

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 11:22 PM
To: tsp_strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

But that's how this works... have you not seen any major index chart since we started recording this early in the 20th century?!!

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'steve_thompson777' steve_thompson777@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 11:05:46 PM
To: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

I guess that is true.  It is all just a matter of time.  No matter how far your stocks go down, I guess if you hold them for 100 years they will eventually come back.  Unless the company files for bankruptcy that is.

 

I would rather not ride along with a massive downturn, but to each his own.

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:07 PM
To: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

Been in stock funds almost constant for 30 years and never lost a dime, only sellers loose.     Even if the shares

went down, they have never failed to go back up.

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'steve_thompson777' steve_thompson777@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 7:02:24 PM
To: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

I had no idea Jim...  I think of G as a place to simply not lose money.  Like stuffing cash under your mattress.  I had no idea that you could actually achieve appreciation from G.

 

We think that we are insulated when we buy into C and S, but we are not.  They are nothing more than an amalgam of class C common purchases strategically.  When the larger market goes down, guess what?  So do they!!!

 

I am totally invested in I, per Sarah's advice, but the less appreciation I see, and the more threat I see in the market, the more I wish I was in G….

 

Good tidings and investing to all….

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:49 PM
To: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

Interesting fact - Over the last 7 week period (from Friday 19 January through Friday 9 March) the best performing TSP Fund was ..... the G Fund. Check me on that at 

http://tspcenter.com/tspReturns.php and enter the dates for yourself. 

 

Of course if you choose time periods carefully enough, you can get just about any fund to come out on top.

 

Not that I agree with those analysts Steve referred to earlier in this thread who think there is going to be a 40% correction in the next 12-18 months (like there was 10 years ago). But if you are one who does, then you'd want to be 100% G from now until then, right? 

 

If there is such a large correction in the next year and a half, wouldn't it take more than a 40% gain by another TSP fund somewhere during that period just to come close to matching the performance of the lowly G Fund (that chugs along at about +2% per year; higher in periods of rising interest rates like now)?

 

Jim

 

 

On Sat, Mar 10, 2018 at 2:35 PM, 'steve_thompson777' steve_thompson777@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

OMG.  That is amazing.  Not me.  I don't even know if I will LIVE for 30 more years.  Much less wait 30 years to come back from a downturn. 

 

Good luck to you.  If I can protect my assets from a downturn I will surely do it.

 

Don't say that JP Morgan's President (and Bill Gates) didn't warn you.

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 2:27 PM
To: tsp_strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

I'm willing to wait 30 years.

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'steve_thompson777' steve_thompson777@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 1:24:56 PM
To: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

That is a generic statement that would apply to a normal market.  The concern is that this is an outlandishly abnormal market.  It has done nothing but go UP consistently for the past 8 years.  Almost everybody in the world considers it to be dramatically overvalued.

 

If one is a gambler and willing to weather a 10 year downturn then yes, stay in US based common stocks (C, S, etc.).  Just be aware that when the "correction" does happen it could take as long as 10 years to get you back to where you were before the correction. 

 

I bought a house in Las Vegas in 2007.  By 2009 it had shed over 60% of it's value.  (I mailed the bank back their key.)  There are those in Las Vegas STILL waiting for their homes to get back to where they were before 2009.

 

Being old and having lived through the Housing bubble, the Dot com bubble, the Telecom bubble, etc., I have a special appreciation for overinflated, unsustainable bubbles.  The US stock market over the past 8 years appears to be just that.

 

Buyer beware….  You have been warned.  Some on the inside (Gates, Buffett, Soros) have been kind enough to raise warning bells to the unshaven masses.  (Generally they keep that information to themselves.)

 

If you are willing to wait 10 years to get back to having as much money as you have today, then by all means be a "long term investor" and stay in.  If you are not, try to "time the market", get out before it crashes, then when it crashes "buy the dip".

 

As I said, I am only treading water in I fund.  I could tread water every bit as well in G, but with NO risk.

 

Many think we have another October 29, 1929 coming in the next 12 to 24 month.

 

Comments, thoughts, and healthy debate are always welcomed.

 

Thanks,

Steve.

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 12:21 PM
To: tsp_strategy@yahoogroups.com; tsp_strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

No. Go to the G fund if your risk tolerance is this low.

 

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> on behalf of 'steve_thompson777' steve_thompson777@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:49:23 AM
To: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

Is anybody ready to freak out, seek shelter, and dump everything in G???

 

Several of the top analysts in the world have called for a 40% "correction" in US based common stock over the next 12 to 18 months….

 

   https://www.marketwatch.com/story/it-could-be-a-deep-correction-jp-morgan-co-president-warns-of-40-stock-pullback-2018-03-08

 

 

I followed Sarah and dumped everything into I, but I have done nothing but treaded water there.  I can tread water in G, and the risk of capital loss goes to almost zero.

 


From: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com [mailto:TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com]
Sent: Saturday, March 10, 2018 10:11 AM
To: TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund

 

 

Good Morning- Has anyone received any emails from Sally? I haven't seen any from her for awhile and wondering if somehow I got dropped off of the group? 

Sent from my iPad


On Mar 10, 2018, at 10:06 AM, mikestacyboomer@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Where is everyone?   I fund is still my preference long term, but for the past few weeks I have been split between C/S/I.  Just putting that out for conversation.  

 

I have no technical analysis to justify this move, other than momentum.  I will reconsider again at the end of the month.  It has been a rough ride the last two months.

 .



__._,_.___

Posted by: Andrea Langenfelder <m.a.langenfelder@gmail.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (54)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Neither the TSP Strategy group, nor individual members, are licensed or authorized to provide investment advice. Any statements made herein merely reflect the personal opinions of the individual group member. Please make your own investment decisions based upon your personal circumstances.

.

__,_._,___
Anda baru saja membaca artikel yang berkategori dengan judul Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund. Anda bisa bookmark halaman ini dengan URL https://1stleadershipworkshop.blogspot.com/2018/03/re-tspstrategy-why-i-fund_55.html. Terima kasih!
Ditulis oleh: Andriansyah -

Belum ada komentar untuk "Re: [TSP_Strategy] Why I fund"

Post a Comment