Leaders Workshop

Soft Skills Development & Training

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

Re: [TSP_Strategy] Roth the rest of the way?

 

Agree with Cindy on this. One of the advantages of the Roth are no taxes on the gains when you withdraw - you're paying the taxes now.. The 5% govt match on TSP contributions are put in the traditional TSP side however, not Roth. There are pros and cons depending on your exact situation though, so be sure to research more. If you work in the DC metro area, you *may* be able to get some input and advice FOR FREE from Winter Troxel and BridgeMark. They are a local firm that specialize in TSP and federal retirement info - they hold s miners at many different agencies throughout the year. Then again, he may take a look and advise you to contact a tax accountant. At the very least, he will do an evaluation of your retirement plans, where you stand currently and how to get where you want it be.


My wife converted a 401k to a Roth (when she separated from an employer in the private sector) years ago. We had to claim and pay taxes on 1/4 of the total over the course of 4 years, but that fund has grown exponentially, tax free for more than 15 years now. I'm not sure how that works now - if you must claim conversion as income in a single year or over a few years time - I'm sure Cindy does though.


- Mike

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 18, 2019, at 11:32 PM, Cindy King cindy.kingde@gmail..com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Charlie, I am retired and have been converting some traditional retirement funds to a Roth IRA.  You do pay the tax at the time of conversion.

Not only does this allow money to grow without additional taxable income, the funds can be passed onto to the next generation and stay in their IRA.

Here's a good article on Roth IRAs.
If your income is going to put you in one of the higher Medicare premium levels, it's best to take higher income from 60-62 (i.e., I did some conversions in those years - to stop deferred taxable growth and to manage my projected RMDs from 3 traditional retirement funds).  In the year you turn 63, that income sets your premiums for age 65 and income each year after can adjust the Medicare premium.

Read about Medicare premiums,


On Thu, Jul 18, 2019 at 8:47 PM Charles Kerrigan gr8fun4all2@yahoo.com [TSP_Strategy] <TSP_Strategy@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
 

Hi All,


I am 64 years old and still working... I will probably retire and 4 to 6 years. Recently a financial advisor was speaking with my agency. He was discussing taxes now versus taxes in the future. He threw out a hypothetical that has me thinking. His hypothetical was that taxes today may be lower than they will ever be in the future. Under that scenario, a Roth TSP would make more sense than a traditional TSP. This is my second career I've been with my current position 14 years.. I have contributed to a traditional TSP for those 14 years. My thought is to now begin contributing the max to a Roth TSP. If I contribute the max over the next four years, in addition to the majority of my money I have a traditional TSP, I will have over 100K in a Roth TSP. My thoughts are that if after retirement I need a big ticket item (vehicle, nice vacation, etc.), I can withdraw that money from the Roth without an additional tax burden.. Also, I'm currently able to afford the taxes on these new contributions while I am still working.

I would appreciate your thoughts (pros and cons) on this scenario.

Thank you very much,

Charlie

--
-- Cindy King

__._,_.___

Posted by: Mike Tucker <tuckerm83@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (10)
Neither the TSP Strategy group, nor individual members, are licensed or authorized to provide investment advice. Any statements made herein merely reflect the personal opinions of the individual group member. Please make your own investment decisions based upon your personal circumstances.

SPONSORED LINKS
.

__,_._,___
Anda baru saja membaca artikel yang berkategori dengan judul Re: [TSP_Strategy] Roth the rest of the way?. Anda bisa bookmark halaman ini dengan URL https://1stleadershipworkshop.blogspot.com/2019/07/re-tspstrategy-roth-rest-of-way_19.html. Terima kasih!
Ditulis oleh: Andriansyah -

Belum ada komentar untuk "Re: [TSP_Strategy] Roth the rest of the way?"

Post a Comment