Leaders Workshop

Soft Skills Development & Training

Blog Archive

Powered by Blogger.

[TSP_Strategy] Re: Early Retiree Seeking Guidance & Tips

 

Congrats on grabbing the brass ring! In August 2017, I took a buyout from my Agency after 35+ years, 10 days after my 59th birthday; I was eligible for voluntary FERS retirement, and the buyout was my own version of the brass ring!

 

I have Roth and Traditional TSP funds (10%/90%), and tried to rollover/extract only the Roth portion to put into a pre-existing Fidelity Roth, thinking I would simply tap that for a few years until the new TSP rules kicked in and gave me more flexibility. Alas, that is not possible.

 

In the end I elected the "full withdrawal" option with specific monthly payments (~3% annually of my total account), so I get fixed monthly payments now. Once a year, I can change my monthly amount simply by submitting Form TSP 73 between October and December. I confirmed with TSP via phone that the changes that are slated to take effect in 2019 will apply to me as well as new retirees, so for now the option I selected is working just great and I will have plenty more choices in a couple of years—great timing since I will be creeping closer to 62 and the accompanying Social Security decisions!

 

I chose not to put my TSP funds into my Vanguard or Fidelity accounts because the administrative fees of TSP can't be beat, and with the excellent advice I get here, I am confident that I can and will continue to do well with TSP.  Neither Fidelity nor Vanguard provides the same kind of community/advice/shared experience that this forum offers me, and I have learned more from this forum than I have from all of the experts and advisors accessible to me there. Yes, they have more choices in terms of investments, but the trade-off of time and effort it would take me to eke out a potentially higher return is not worth it to me. I admire and respect people (like many contributing to this forum) who are more savvy and knowledgeable about markets than I am and reap the benefits of their knowledge and hard work, but I am wise enough to know that I will never be one of those people! 


Best of luck and happy trails to you as you pursue your next act! As for your comment about Daylight Savings Time, let me counter that my own luxury now is sleeping 8 hours a night—what a delicious treat!

 

 

__._,_.___

Posted by: traceyaaron@yahoo.com
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (9)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.

Neither the TSP Strategy group, nor individual members, are licensed or authorized to provide investment advice. Any statements made herein merely reflect the personal opinions of the individual group member. Please make your own investment decisions based upon your personal circumstances.

.

__,_._,___
Anda baru saja membaca artikel yang berkategori dengan judul [TSP_Strategy] Re: Early Retiree Seeking Guidance & Tips. Anda bisa bookmark halaman ini dengan URL https://1stleadershipworkshop.blogspot.com/2018/04/tspstrategy-re-early-retiree-seeking_13.html. Terima kasih!
Ditulis oleh: Andriansyah -

Belum ada komentar untuk "[TSP_Strategy] Re: Early Retiree Seeking Guidance & Tips"

Post a Comment